Easter 2011 in Barcelona
Barcelona is one of the best cities to enjoy Easter and soak up the early spring sunshine, visiting the city’s main tourist attractions, tasting local dishes and taking part in processions and religious and cultural activities.
Barcelona is the perfect place for those looking to combine culture and fun, and visitors will find a wide range of activities to enjoy as a family or with friends. In addition, this year Easter coincides with one of the most important days in the Catalan calendar, the day of "Sant Jordi", when all the streets of the city come alive with roses, books and bright spring colours. Tradition dictates that men have to give ladies a rose, and ladies in turn have to give men a book.
All the inhabitants of Barcelona take to the streets to stroll around the stalls selling books and roses (we would recommend visiting the Paseo de Gracia and Rambla Catalunya).
The following are the main religious and cultural activities programmed for easter:
Thursday Traditional pilgrimage to seven local churches.
Good Friday. Two processions are usually held:
• The procession of Nuestra Señora de las Angustias, which leaves Sant Jaume church at around 6.30 pm and proceeds round the Gothic District, returning to the church at around 11 pm.
• The procession of Nuestro Padre Jesús del Gran Poder and María Santísima de la Esperanza Macarena. This sets off from Sant Agustí church in the Raval and winds round this neighbourhood and the Gothic District.
Easter Saturday: Day of Sant Jordi
There are many alternative activities:
• Visit La Casa Batlló
• Visit La Pedrera
• Visit La Sagrada Familia church
• Visit the Barcelona Aquarium
• Visit the Barcelona Zoo
• Visit the Joan Miró Foundation
• Visit the Picasso Museum
Where to stay during Easter:
If you are visiting Barcelona during Holy Week this year, book into the Gallery Hotel, a luxury 4 star hotel perfectly situated in the centre of the city, within walking distance of the Paseo de Gracia and very near the Plaza Catalunya.
You can book online at http://www.galleryhotel.com or call + (34) 93.415.99.11.